Sunday, January 21, 2007

Prayers for the week of January 21, 2007

To get us started this week I present a quote about intercessory prayer from Phillip Yancey in Prayer - Does It Make Any Difference?, page 303.

Crudely put, I once envisioned intercession as bringing requests to God that God may not have thought of, then talking God into granting them. Now I see intercession as an increase in my awareness. When I pray for another person, I am praying for God to open my eyes so that I can see that person as God does, and then enter into the stream of love that God already directs toward that person.

Something happens when I pray for others in this way. Bringing them into God’s presence changes my attitude toward them and ultimately affects our relationship. I pray for the neighbor who is always trying to sneak out of paying his neighborhood assessments and begin to see him not as a conniver but as a friendless man who lives with constant financial worries. I pray for my drug-addicted relative and see past the irresponsible behavior to a wounded, desperate soul.

In short, prayer allows me to see others as God sees them (and me): uniquely flawed and uniquely gifted bearers of God’s image. I begin seeing them through Jesus’ eyes, as beloved children whom the Father longs to embrace. I know that God wants their marriages to grow stronger and their children to stay out of trouble; God wants them healthy, and strong to resist temptation, capable of reaching out to others in need. I bring those prayers to God because I know God wills the very same thing. What I desire in the people I pray for, God desires all the more.


I hope you will pour your heart out in prayer this week!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, be with Ryan. Be also with the family and friends of the boy who drowned.

Thank you for our church family.

In Jesus name, Amen.

Anonymous said...

Father God, It is amazing to me that you are the Great High King of heaven, yet you still want to share in my daily trials. Thank you for being mindful of me and for loving me, even though I am very small and sinful. Thank you for the gift of your son Jesus. I am so sorry that he died because of my sin...my pride, my selfishness, my dishonesty. Thank you for your grace and mercy in my life. Please remind me this week that you love the people around me in the same perfect way you love me. Please give me your vision to see others as people who bear your image. Show me those in my life who need to hear of your love for them. Thank you for the blessing of your presence in our daily lives. In the name of Jesus, Amen

Anonymous said...

Oh God, why are the valleys so deep? The frustration and anguish are so high. If it weren't for you I would have nothing at all. Even in my despair I know you are here with me. Dear Lord if I am causing my own anguish please let me see how to correct it. I am no good for anyone in the state I am in, not even for myself. Refresh my soul dear Lord. If I share my feelings with anyone else it makes things worse, you are the only one I can depend on. You are always with me through the good and the bad, thank you so much for being my rock. I know you love me and want whats best for me, please let me see clearly through the fog so I make better choices. If its not for me to know why these things are happening I can accept that, just give me the strength to bear it and guide me through it. Let me be the best I can be even in these down times. I love you so much Lord. All Glory an Honor I give to you oh God, you are so awesome. I cannot be any help to my children walking around in anguish, sustain me dear Lord. Show me when to act and when to back off and let you work. It is so hard for me dear Lord, I want to save them from everything. Help me dear Lord, help me. You are my comforter and my redeemer, quiet my soul dear Lord. In You I can rest and know everything will be okay, thank you oh my God.

Anonymous said...

Lord, be with the ones who are in the valley. Though it is dark, deep, and cold, help them to know that you are with them.

God, things seem to be going well with our church family. Please protect us from the evil one. We know he wants to disrupt good things.

Be with our college students. They are being pushed and challenged about what they believe. Help them to stay strong and grounded to you.

I pray for a good day today!

In Jesus name, Amen

Anonymous said...

Lord please watch over our children. Keep them safe from harm and help them turn their hearts to you and do only your will.
Thank you Lord for all your blessings. I love you so much Lord.
In Christ name
Amen

Anonymous said...

Dear Father, People are hurting and in need of your comfort. You've promised that you are close to the broken hearted and that you save those whose spirits are crushed. We claim these promises in the name of your son Jesus. Reveal yourself to me and my brothers and sisters today...help us to take you at your word and find rest in your presence. Thank you for hearing our prayers. In Jesus name, Amen

Anonymous said...

Lord continue to be with Ryan Trevithick. Heal him.

Be with the ones who are hurting and are discouraged. Help them to know you are there for them. Help our church family to be encouraging to each other.

You are an amazing God. Help us to be faithful to you in all things.